The ABC curriculum gets repeated every 3 years – the first year is the Asset year, the second year is the Building year and the third is the Champion year. We are reading the Building year books for the 2019-2020 school year. The Building year student tool kit below provides a brief summary of the key messages for each book.
Book 1 (Sept) – Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon
- “Don’t focus on the bully; focus on the fact that you have the power to choose how you react!”
- Use your body language to stand tall, walk proud, smile big and sing loud.
- Remove mud thoughts by using clear thoughts and positive self-talk.
- Stop, think, and understand to prevent bucket dipping.
- Identify and name the caring adults that are your cheerleaders.
Book 2 (Oct) – My Secret Bully
- Identify your supportive adults.
- Get an adult when you need help and support.
- Role-play situations with a caring adult, so you can plan ahead for how to respond to the hooks.
- Use positive self-talk to remind yourself that the bullying is a hook.
- Understand friendship boosters and busters. Hang out with people who let you be YOU!
Book 3 (Nov) – The Day You Begin
- Accept and understand differences. o
- UPstanders practice intentional acts of caring.
- Practice inclusive behaviors to create a caring school.
- Speak your voice.
Book 4 (Dec/Jan) – Today I Feel Silly
- When you are having blue days you can change them to good days.
- Accept and name your feelings. Say to yourself: “I am sad.” “I am scared.” “I am angry.” “I am embarrassed.”
- Relax and take a time out before you act. Take slow, deep breaths and relax all of the muscles in your body.
- Think about ways to help yourself. Make a plan. Thinking helps you do something smart instead of making things worse.
- Do something to help change the way you feel. Do something you enjoy. Get active! Talk to a friend or an adult about your feelings.
- Be aware if your friend is feeling blue. Fill their bucket by being “there” to listen and help.
Book 5 (Feb) – Long Shot
- Follow your sparks-dreams, interests and passions.
- Set a GPS for both short-term and long-term goals.
- Practice and work hard to achieve your goals.
- Identify your goal champions.
- Identify your role models (both famous and ordinary) and reflect upon their accomplishments.